make your own foot soak
Foot soaks are a great way to disinfect your pet's paws.
Paws are sweaty, moist and pick up environmental contaminants...
keeping them clean is the key to stopping licking and irritation.
Where to do a foot soak
Small dogs - in the bathroom sink.
- Big dogs - in the shower tray / bath / paddling pool.
- Or dunk feet individually in a bowl or cup.
What to use
Povidone-iodine (Betadine / Vetadine) is anti-fungal, antiviral, safe, non-toxic and non-stinging; a very effective disinfectant for paws. It is great for paws with small cuts/grazes.
If the paws are just a little irritated you could try:
- Chamomile tea (let it cool first!)
- Diluted vinegar soak (1/4 cup vinegar to 1 litre water)
How to make the soak
- Fill tub with water.
- Add iodine until solution is the colour of iced tea.
- Soak dog's feet in tub for at least 30 seconds.
- Pat paws dry with a towel. Easy!